Friday, January 4, 2008

My Power Went Out Today. Did Yours?

At first I was shocked and confused. I mean, there I was at my place of business unable to use the computer, the telephone, the copy machine, even the typewriter. For all practical purposes, one might say, the power outage really hamstrung my ability to maintain a steady work flow. Then I realized something else altogether. The power outage meant I was going to get to go home early! My happiness at this realization made me realize that after just three short weeks I am already falling into the camp of Americans who hate their job. Finally, for the first time in my life, I feel like I am really part of something bigger than just myself. I'm going to have to start saving for vacation right now. Also, I am really going to start living for the weekends and then coming down with a case of "the Mondays." I would say 'manic' Mondays, but I don't want to jinx myself. Oh, I just realized I can now also count myself among that group of Americans who rely on public transportation for their commute to their hated jobs and who thus develop mass transit-rage. For example, I had bus rage last night when I had to wait 40 minutes in the rain. I could have been accomplishing all sorts of personal goals
(like redeveloping my tolerance to alcohol or conscientiously grooming my cat, Gerard Butler so that I will be able to stop screaming bloody hell when he digs in with his claws) during that time period, but no. That time is just lost to me. For someone who has never been much of a joiner, I would say I am in a lot of clubs. Would you like to be in my club?

No comments: