Monday, September 14, 2009

STUDIO ONE: Not Just For The Cheese Plate.

An interesting and eye-opening thing happened to me last Friday night at the monthly Studio One poetry reading. And it's all because I stopped eating cheese. You see, I'm thirty-four now, and my metabolism can no longer handle eating just anything. So I thought I'd simply cut out a few foods, such as ultra-fattening "cheese" and try to shed a few pounds. What in the world, Jenny Drai, you might wonder, does cheese have to do with poetry? Well, gentle Reader (I would reply), it has everything to do with my first Friday routine. Get home from work. Light snack. Work out. Shower and change. Show up at Studio One with a few bucks in my pocket for the donations cup and nibble on the excellent smorgasbord of tasty snacks. But what about last Friday? I felt some trepidation. Would I be able to withstand those tempting morsels of milk, cultures, and rennet? The creamy brie? The smoky gouda? Sharp chedder? And that's not even mentioning the outstanding selection of whole-grain crackers. How would I cope? As stressed out as I usually am by Friday evening, I doubted my resolve. But I found sustenance through another medium: the poetry of Gillian Hamel and Truong Tran and the performance piece by Scott V.

At my job as the office assistant in a furniture store, I don't get to use my brain very much, and for some reason I find this exhausting. Because I have to work every weekend, I rarely show up at a poetry reading when I'm not feeling tired and cranky. Often, I don't even want to go. I'd much rather curl up in bed, covers over my head, and reread Harry Potter for the umpteenth time with the help of a flashlight. In fact, a half hour before the Studio One reading was sheduled to begin, I was in just such a position bemoaning my fate as a cog in the wheels of corporate America. But I went anyways, non-poet boyfriend in tow. We both had a great time, and I (the ultimate believer in the supremacy of the written text) learned something valuable about poetry's orality and the collective nature of event.

I came. I listened. I relaxed. That's how it happened. Never a good auditory learner, I nonethless caught beautiful snippets and sometimes even whole parcels of thought. "There should be space around her, breathing and collapsing," Gillian Hamel read as part of a set that combined the journey of a speaker full, at times, of particularity and preference ("I don't like anything that combines with 'post.' my greatest moments occur when I am wearing the exact right amount of layers, my hands are full, and I cannot hear anything else.") with the sometimes outrightly haunting, and/or what I would call questions or statements of boundary, and/or sheer and utter viscerality. Also, since this after all was a reading, I would add that she read well.

Whereas Gillian Hamel's poetry started off the event with a tonally serious exploration of the self in tandem to and in opposition to various degrees of daily violences, Scott V.'s faux sales presentation on his self-styled program to teach his audience the value of incorporating hiding into one's daily life (not to mention his hilarious slideshow on how to determine a good hiding spot) was a virtual laugh-fest. But that's not to say Scott V. didn't make a more serious point. How many of us, after all, hide in order to be found? Regardless, hide-and-seek is quite a lot of fun. Take it from one who knows. Since the presentation last Friday, my boyfriend and I have played the game at least twice. I, however, have an unfair advantage because Steven is 6'6" and just doesn't fit in the better spots like in the closet under the pile of dirty laundry. I mean, does he seriously think I won't see him lurking under the dining room table? At any rate, the presentation very much reminded me of a sales meeting I was forced to attend on my day off even though I am not in sales, except that this time I was happily engaged with the process instead of staring glassy-eyed in the general direction of whoever was currently trying to indoctrinate me with the value of a having a more *positive* attitude in order to SELL! SELL! SELL! even though (I repeat) it was supposed to be my day off and I am not even in sales. I just type up the invoices. With a smile on my face, even when it hurts. Thank you Scott V. for making the smile feel good.

It was during the Truong Tran reading that I really finally realized what was happening to me. As I slid in and out of his language (without eating any of that scintillattingly delicious cheese), as I laughed with the other members of the audience at something random or touching or comic, I experienced the comfort of the collective experience of shared vibe in shared setting. I have to say that I was really tired. I have to say I engage much easier (in the critical sense) with the written text. I have to say that last Friday night, at about two-thirds of the way through the reading, I stopped taking notes for my review and instead got wonderfully lost, and in doing so, suddenly found. In cadence with Truong Tran and the rest of the audience. Very far away from a long day or the promise of an even longer day tomorrow. Just there. Listening to shifting tones. The contemplation in the work. Wanting to read the work. Tugging the covers over my head and pulling out the flashlight. Pushing Harry Potter to one side. Or just extinguishing the flashlight and using a lamp and the full weight of the mind on some random week night. When the sky is black and the sleep is in front of you and what you need is at your fingertips and you can have it if you open the book, turning back the cover.

So it's not just about the cheese anymore. Or the crackers. Or have I mentioned the always tasty Orangina if you don't drink wine? Because it is tasty. Orangina is simply the best. And they have it at Studio One, where emerging poets converge with the time-tested and well-published, where poetry combines with film, music, and performance for a great time to be had by all, including this somewhat over-tired and worn-out blogger who is just writing her review now because she, ironically, had to work all week without a day off because lots of people like to celebrate Labor Day by shopping for recliners.

So that's that. Great poets and performances. So you should go next time. There's something for everyone. And now that I've forsworn cheese, there is more for you. Because I used to eat a lot of it. Thank you.

42 comments:

ryan manning said...

ofelia hunt

EdwinaHugh said...

布蘭妮貼影片布蘭妮裸體影片巨乳正妹免費成人影片巨乳成人影片免費看巨乳成人卡通影片巨乳影片美女巨乳影片網幼幼自拍影片幼幼影片區床上調情的影片影片av女影片情色av影片彩虹入口免費影片觀賞彩虹頻道免費影片辣妹無碼影片辣妹做愛動作影片辣妹性感影片辣妹自衛影片辣妹成人網免費影片辣妹小弟弟貼影片辣女人內射寫真影片影片購買色情影片麗的av影片免費直撥免費的線上成人聊天室免費的聊天室免費的性愛教育免費的成人無碼5278貓貓論壇h真珠美人魚貓熊情色貼圖貂禪裸圖豐臀美腿drjames豆豆人電影豆豆交友論壇豆豆交友聊天室論壇貼片直播貼片短片貼片網站貼圖%貼色情影片區貼色情短片貼片排行榜入口網貼片成人

甜心時刻 said...

路過--你好嗎..很棒的BLOG.........................................

ya said...

我們不是因為快樂而歌唱,而是唱歌使我們快樂........................................

冠宇 said...

高聊天室ut男同聊天同志聊天至聊天室uut男同志聊天av99洪爺影城av99影片亞洲av99影片金瓶梅影片av99影片洪爺avdvd168影片av女優線上免費看av女優論壇av免費情色短片av免費電影av免费电影av亞洲成人區av直播台av直播式av看影片av動畫卡通av專賣店av情色網站排行榜av情色影片免費觀賞av情圖貼av援交妹av免費區AV免費看短片av色貼圖av女優館av片直播辦公室偷情遊戲免費視訊聊天網ut聊天室聊天室

v佳馥虹玲 said...

笑口常開~~天天開心........................................

林淑凡 said...

It is easier to get than to keep it.......................................................

火芬 said...

辛苦了!祝你愈來愈好!........................................

G702aynelleKress0 said...

好的部落格就要和好朋友分享--感謝分享.........................

GeraldF_Rotter雅慧 said...

文章很棒~感謝!!..................................................

燕香criste0609opherc_hippl said...

how do u do?

啟佐 said...

Good!............................................................

K910athrinA_Petrin0 said...

your artical is so funny!! it make me so happy!! .............................................

韋于倫成 said...

性愛巴士線上看sex性愛85cc性愛紅爺性愛本土美女性愛銀赫歐美av線上歐美av線上看歐美女自慰歐美成人女星歐美成人片女星歐美成人免費線上歐美成人情色歐美色情圖貼歐美免費成人電影歐美免費成人影片觀看歐美免費自拍歐美免費做愛片歐美免費情色影片模特兒平台標題樣?嫚雪兒免費小說影片avi影片a直播影片下?影片分享fuck影片成人片影片成人免費影片收尋成人小說 言情小說 情色自拍漫畫貼圖

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

心中有愛,才會人見人愛。........................................

羅文浩 said...

成功可招引朋友,挫敗可考驗朋友 ............................................................

歐英傑 said...

好的開始,就是成功的一半。..................................................

千惠千惠 said...

我們不是因為快樂而歌唱,而是唱歌使我們快樂......................................................................

鈺苓賴 said...

你的BLOG真有心~看都不膩.................................................................

俊源 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。......................................................................

思翰思翰 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。......................................................................

KrisMcmillen07星美 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

王名仁 said...

向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

宥妃宥妃 said...

天下沒有意把鑰匙,可以打開所有的門............................................................

江冠彭珮李佳宏陽筠 said...

快樂與滿足的秘訣,就在全心全意投注於現在的每一分,每一秒上..................................................

戴昀德 said...

請繼續發表好文!加油加油加油!.......................................................

于倫 said...

Subtlety is better than force. ............................................................

水慧 said...

好東西要和好朋友分享--感謝您............................................................

楊儀卉 said...

連接生與死這兩塊陸地的橋樑是愛…….......................................................

雅莊王edgd春2蕙婷余惠其 said...

開懷幸福的生活,是每個人的夢想~~希望大家都能夠實現!..................................................................

RicoLisi0802志竹 said...

出遊不拘名勝,有景就是好的............................................................

淑吳玲 said...

It is easier to get than to keep it.......................................................................

建依萍彰 said...

一時的錯誤不算什麼,錯而不改才是一生中永遠且最大的錯誤..................................................

孟湖聿軒 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果..................................................

凱v胡倫 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。............................................................

恪钰 said...

老天爺賦予了強者的能力,就是要他比弱者多擔待..................................................

v惠王王王娟 said...

老天爺賦予了強者的能力,就是要他比弱者多擔待..................................................

幸家陳瑋齊 said...

很棒的分享~~~來留個言囉~~~~............................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

路過~很有趣吶...............................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

No pains, no gains..................................................................

璇陳陳陳竹 said...

愛情是盲目的,但婚姻恢復了它的視力。......................................................................

王雅俊 said...

很以有啟發性的故事阿~感謝大大分享^^......................................................